Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Eating Healthy on a Budget: Food Diary #2

Hello all, thank you for you patience! Here is the second half of my food diary for the first week of this series. As a bonus, my flatmate returned from a trip home with a substantial harvest of home-grown plums, three cheers for fresh fruit!
It's been seven days since my shop, what am I left with? On Thursday morning I had two eggs and a banana spare for a pancake breakfast. Otherwise, I am left with just a small amount of lettuce, one remaining potato, the tinned corn, and half the cheese.  This means that none of the produce has gone to waste and that I bought a good amount of food to last the week. I was lucky to be able to get a few free snacks, from the haul of plums, but I have enough odds and ends in the pantry that I could have easily made it work without. I have been a little lacking in appetite this week for a few reasons, and it has been too hot for my morning run, so it would be usual for me to eat a little more than this (I often snack on flourless, sugar-free mug cakes to top up for the day but didn't feel the need this week). The following is the remainder of my food diary, and below is my intention for shopping and blogging this week. Enjoy!

Sunday
Breakfast - Pumpkin pancakes and a banana on the side (recipe!)

Lunch – Lettuce and cucumber salad with lots of olive oil
Snack – Tangelo
Dinner – Quick Spanish stew-like dish of fried chorizo, 1/2 tin of diced tomatoes, 1 diced carrot, 1 tbsp olive oil, topped with grated cheese
Protein: 49g

Monday
Breakfast - Brown rice porridge with a sliced banana and splash of soy milk, 1 plum
Lunch - Lettuce, cucumber and tomato salad with tuna
Snack - 1 plum

Dinner - Spanish tortilla, served with mixed veggies and a handful of grated cheese.

For those unaware, a Spanish tortilla, or Spanish omelette, is a dish similar to a frittata, consisting of just potatoes and egg (and sometimes onion, depending on who you ask!).  It's a really simple dish, full of protein and healthy starches, totally delicious, and very budget-friendly. One tortilla (5 or 6 eggs and one medium potato) makes two serves or four snacks.
Protein: 48g


Tuesday
Breakfast - Smoothie: 1 banana, 1 tbsp cocoa, 1 cup soy milk, 1 plum, 1 tbsp quinoa flakes
Quinoa flakes are another handy to thing have in the pantry, but are definitely on my "luxury items" list!
Lunch - Lettuce, tomato, cucumber salad with tuna and olive oil
#mealprep

Snack - 1 plum
Dinner - Spanish tortilla, served with mixed veggies
Protein: 57g


Recipe, as above
Wednesday
Breakfast - Banana pancakes

Lunch - Lettuce and cucumber salad with tuna (my last tin!)
Snack  - 1 plum
Dinner - Lamb stew with quinoa, left over from earlier in the week
Protein: 56g
 


It's supermarket day today.  I'm aware for my shop that I still have my frozen vegetables and oven fries in the freezer, and I've checked the in-store specials - if you are in NZ and ready to shop today, Countdown is selling size 16 whole fresh chickens for $9, which is a decent price, and I'll be describing how to make the most of a whole chicken in the blog this week.  I will also be posting some recipes, starting later today with no-grain pancakes and continuing with a few more simple baking recipes. If you have any questions or comments, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment