Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Eating Healthy On A Budget Part 2: Forty Dollars Worth of Food



I did my weekly shop today, first hitting up Countdown after checking the specials online, and then heading to my local veggie shop on the way back.

Here is how I went at Countdown:
 
$21.88 worth of noms


And in words, for those who prefer:
1 x tin of diced tomatoes: 80c
1 x tin of corn kernels: 89c
4 x tin of tuna (95g): $1 x 4 = $4
1 x soy milk: $2.50
1 x lemon: $1.05
1 x 208g basa fillet: $2.08
1 x lamb leg steak: $4.56
1kg brown rice: $2.50
1 dozen eggs: $3.50
Total: $21.88

I made up a list using the online shopping tool that came to about $19 that looked similar to the above, but included an extra tin of tomatoes and an extra tin of tuna, but no lamb and half the amount of rice.  I scanned the Quick Sale area of the meat and picked out the lamb, and also spotted the 1kg rice on special and an in-store deal on basa fillets.  By swapping out a couple of tins I was able to stay within a reasonable budget and get more variety. Thrilling stuff! But it's in-store decisions like this that are important for frugality and I think it's a good example of how a little research and prep can go a long way. I mean, red meat? On my budget? :)

How I went at the veggie shop:


A Thirteen Dollar Nutrition Rainbow
The receipt:
1 x eggplant: 99c
1 x Cos lettuce: $1.99
755g bananas: $1.88
1 x Lebanese cucumber: $1.29
650g potato: $1.75
550g carrot: $1.09
1 x blueberries: $2.69
200g tangelo: 60c
460g tomatos: 92c
Total: $13.20

On reflection, I wish I'd lined up my produce from red through to purple to photograph it, because there is a really awesome array of colours there! To be honest, this shop was a little light (literally) because it was hot, the basket was heavy, and I already had one sore arm from the other half of my shopping. I also remembered I have a full bag of mixed vege in the freezer I could use, so I knew this should be plenty to tide me through the week.  I guess we'll see!
When I buy my veggies I try to get a mix of colours, and go for foods that are versatile like potatoes and bananas. I also make sure to check the produce aisles out at the supermarket beforehand so I know I'm actually making a saving, e.g. bananas were $3.50 per kg at Countdown but $2.50 at the local place, whereas mushrooms were about the same price and a little sadder looking.


$35 of deliciousness

My total spend today was just over $35 so there is $5 still in the budget if I need to grab anything before the week is through.  Remember as well that it's not just what you buy, but what you don't. In the picture above, there's no junk products packaged up as food, no cheeky bottle of wine, no soft drinks except milk.  Don't get me wrong, I have a major sweet tooth and there is definitely a time and a place for choccy biccies but the weekly grocery shop is not it, especially if you are watching your wallet. 
For interest's sake, my petite post-shop lunch was a jacket potato & tuna with eggplant and tomato (cooked in olive oil) on the side:

Not the most photogenic of meals.
Approx cost? Tuna = $1, 1/3 eggplant = 33c, 1/2 tomato = 15c,1 potato = 58c, Total price of lunch = $2.06

I know I'm no professional budget-buster, but hopefully you've found this post interesting and helpful, if you have any questions about anything related, don't hesitate! I will be keeping you updated throughout the week with how I turn these ingredients into meals. Have a great day everyone :)  

Disclaimer: YMMV
I am a small-ish, female person and even with regular exercise, I don't really need to eat a whole lot. The first photo should do me for protein-type foods this week: six servings of eggs, 4 servings of tuna, 2 x 100g of basa, and 2 x 100g of lamb. That's the 14 servings I'm after (I will get additional protein into my diet from the rice, soy milk and vegetables). If you are taller than me, or exercise heaps, you may have to eat more to be satiated and energised and that is a-ok. If you feel like you would need more food than this, my recommendation would be to pick up full-size tins of tuna and to scour the clearance meats for deals, which would considerably bump up your proteins for just a few extra dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment