Thursday, May 29, 2014

"Non-success"

I don't necessarily like the word "failure", if for any reason just because the internet has totally overused it, but the last few days haven't even come close to being successful.
The last two days kind of sum up my eating habits for the last week or so, and keep in mind this is me trying to choose healthy alternatives:

Wednesday
10.30am
Two pieces wholegrain toast with ginger marmalade
Special K with low fat soy milk
2 mugs of Earl Grey tea
3pm
Tofu salad takeaway - lettuce, pickled vegtables and breaded and fried tofu squares
7 pieces of Dutch Licorice
1 200mL can of sugarfree V
5-6pm
1 500mL bottle of water

7.30pm
Takeaway - Beef Burger with blue cheese and mushroom sauces, portion of fries
8.30pm
2 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk
1 mug peppermint tea

Thursday
10.30am
2 slices of wholegrain toast with mashed sardines
1 mug of fruit tea
11am
Smoothie - banana, chocolate protein powder, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 teaspoon chia seeds, 3.4 cup of low fat soy milk
3.30pm
Single serve pumpkin and feta quiche
1 x 200mL sugarfree V
Muffin Break boysenberry white chocolate muffin
7pm
1 x 200mL sugarfree V

10pm
Instant mix Alfredo flavoured pasta and sauce (later realised this was a "4 x side serve" packet rather than a "1 x meal" packet)
1 large glass water

Although this "non-success" is a little disheartening, I can see lots of patterns starting to emerge.  I'm starting the day out well at home, doing pretty average at eating well while at work and then being so tired at the end of the day I'm just eating whatever I can access with the least effort.  I'm not a fan of "meal plans" but I think at least planning lunches and dinners ahead of time will encourage me to make better choices.
There's also a fair amount of caffeine being consumed towards the end of the day - I've been feeling totally drained the last few weeks, to the point where the weekend comes and I can barely summon the energy for even the most basic household chores.  My sister said that iron supplements are like "magic" to her so I've added them into my daily routine (if you can call it that!) in case a deficiency is what's making me so tired.  We'll see how that goes!
Moving forward, I'm going to plan the next couple of days' meals around one of the Healthy Food Guide weekly meal plans.  I trust HFG since I know their advice is backed up by scientific research and government recommendations rather than anecdotal evidence and food fashion.  Their meal plans are also adjusted to fit the seasons and offer a wide variety of meal ideas with recipes included.  I'll check back in in a couple of days time to see how eating this way makes me feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment